New providers based in Charlotte, Concord, Gastonia, Shelby and Winston-Salem
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (September 18, 2019) – Charlotte-headquartered OrthoCarolina has hired seven doctors in its offices across the Carolinas, bringing its total number of physicians to 141. The new providers will help fill growing needs in specific markets and orthopedic specialties.
“The demand for orthopedic specialty care is rising, particularly in suburban areas of North and South Carolina,” said Bruce Cohen, MD, CEO of OrthoCarolina. “It’s rewarding for OrthoCarolina to be able to fulfill that need for individualized care close to home for our patients by continuing to place premier providers in smaller, growing communities.”
The newly-hired OrthoCarolina physicians include:
• Malick Bachabi, M.D., M.S. (Foot and Ankle, Concord) – A former OrthoCarolina fellow, Dr. Bachabi is fellowship trained in foot and ankle and is located at OrthoCarolina Concord. He did his orthopedic surgery residency and surgical internship at Johns Hopkins Hospital and received his Doctor of Medicine from Georgetown University School of Medicine
. • Michael “Canaan” Prater, D.O. (Hip and Knee, Gastonia) – Dr. Prater is fellowship trained in hip and knee and based at OrthoCarolina Gastonia. Dr. Prater did his adult reconstruction fellowship at Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas, did his orthopedic surgery residency at the Hughston Clinic, and received his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine from Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine.
• Bryan Opalacz, D.O. (Sports Medicine, Shelby) – Dr. Opalacz is fellowship trained in sports medicine and located at OrthoCarolina Shelby. He did his orthopedic sports medicine fellowship and his residency at Orlando Regional Medical Center and received his Doctor of Osteopathy from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.
• Jesse Otero, MD, Ph.D. (Hip and Knee, Charlotte) – A former OrthoCarolina fellow, Dr. Otero is fellowship trained in adult hip and knee reconstruction and based at the OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center. He did his residency in orthopedic surgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and received his Doctor of Medicine from Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine.
• Bryan Saltzman, M.D. (Sports Medicine, Charlotte) – A former OrthoCarolina fellow, Dr. Saltzman is fellowship trained in sports medicine and shoulder/elbow and located at the OrthoCarolina Sports Medicine Center. He also specializes in orthobiologics. Dr. Saltzman did his orthopedic surgery residency at Rush University Medical Center and received his Doctor of Medicine from Rush Medical College.
• Andrea Staneata, M.D. (Spine, Winston-Salem) – A former OrthoCarolina fellow, Dr. Staneata is fellowship trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry). She is based at OrthoCarolina Winston. Dr. Staneata did her orthopedic residency at Orthopedics and Trauma Hospital in Tirgu Mures, Romania and received her Doctor of Medicine from the University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Tirgu Mures, Romania.
• Adam Wegner, MD, Ph.D. (Spine, Winston-Salem) – Dr. Wegner is fellowship trained in spine and based at OrthoCarolina Winston. He did his orthopedic spine surgery fellowship at Washington University, St. Louis, did his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of California Davis, and received his Doctor of Medicine from Vanderbilt University.
“Continued access to quality care and a continuum of care is our top goal when it comes to selecting providers, and our physicians have indispensable skill sets in their fields,” said Cohen. “It’s our honor to have our new providers represent us and serve our patients.”
About OrthoCarolina With expert physicians and care providers in locations throughout our region, OrthoCarolina is one of the nation’s leading orthopedic practices and your destination for comprehensive orthopedic care. Our expertise in the areas of foot and ankle, hand, hip and knee, shoulder and elbow, spine, sports medicine and pediatrics to offer a continuum of care unmatched in our region — and throughout the country.
OrthoCarolina. You. Improved.
Connect with OrthoCarolina at orthocarolina.com or on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.